Ads 468x60px

Thursday, October 14, 2010

We are the world’s best side: Akhtar

Fast-bowler Shoaib Akhtar believes Pakistan can be the world’s “best side” if they can overcome the off-field controversies they find themselves drowning in regularly.
Akhtar, who is leading Islamabad Leopards in the ongoing Faysal Bank Twenty20 Cup, has been a regular in Pakistan’s limited-overs squad since the Asia Cup in June.
“If the situation favoured Pakistan in England and if we had stayed away from controversies, Pakistan would’ve beaten them five nil in the One-Day Internationals (ODI),” Akhtar told reporters at Gaddafi Stadium. “As far as I know, Pakistan are the world’s best side in ODIs and T20s.
“We have the ability to win against any team. Our main strength is bowling and reverse-swing and it has been the case since the 1980s but our batting has been a concern for a long time. But once our batting improves and we play fifty overs with authority, we can become an unbeatable side.”
Akhtar is part of Pakistan’s ODI and T20 squad for the series against South Africa in the UAE where they will play two Twenty20s, five ODIs and two Tests followed by five ODIs and two Tests in New Zealand.
Akhtar also denied reports that he has distanced himself from Test cricket and is focussing solely on the shorter format.
“It’s not like I don’t want to play Test cricket. To be very honest, I missed doing that in England. I’ve started work on a new run-up after the Asia Cup and with this, my pace has remained the same but it has reduced the workload on my body. I don’t think I’m ready to play Test cricket right now but I’m definitely looking forward to the New Zealand series to make a comeback.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...