Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Zulqarnain confirms British tabloid approach



Pakistan’s retired run-away wicket-keeper Zulqarnain Haider confirmed that he gave an interview to the British tabloid the News of The World, the publication that carried out a sting operation during Pakistan’s tour of England and resulted in the provisional suspension of Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif on spot-fixing allegations.
The wicket-keeper has sought political asylum in the UK after leaving the team in Dubai as it prepared for the deciding One-Day International in Dubai against South Africa. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) formed a three-member committee that includes Subhan Ahmed, the PCB’s acting director administration and human resources, team manager Intikhab Alam and the team’s security manager Major Najam Javed to launch the initial investigations.
“The paper offered me £50,000 but I spoke to them for free and asked them to give the money in charity,” Haider told The Express Tribune from London. “They tried to get controversial statements against our players but I remained to the point regarding the matter as I don’t know anything about other players.”
PCB offers financial support
Meanwhile, the PCB fact-finding committee has finally succeeded in contacting Haider and has offered its help to the wicket-keeper to resolve the issue.
According to Haider, Subhan contacted him to offer financial help as well as the board’s support.
“I got a call from him this morning who offered me help including financial assistance,” he said. “I declined the financial offer but assured him that I will give him the required information on the matter.”
Haider feels need of strong association
Agreeing to Tim May, the International Players Union chief, Haider felt the need of a strong players’ association where its members could register their reservations and problems. May, in an interview earlier this week, said that the players did not have faith in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-corruption unit because details of their talks have been leaked to the media.
“I’m exactly going through this insecurity, there should be a strong support of players through associations. I know things will go in my favour as I have not committed a sin and took steps for betterment of the game.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...