Ads 468x60px

Friday, December 3, 2010

Cricketer Sohail Tanvir says he thought his career was over

LONDON, Dec 3 (APP): Left arm medium fast bowler Sohail Tanvir feared that his cricket career was over following his serious knee injury but his inclusion in Pakistan team for Test and T20 squads for the tour of New Zealand has appeared to put him back in line of business. Speaking to the UK-based website PakPassion.net , he spoke of his relief at seeing his name for the upcoming tour. "It's been a very tough journey and I've had to put in a tremendous amount of hard work to recover from the knee injury," stated the 25 year old winner of the inaugural Player of the Tournament award at the Indian Premier League.
"It's been nearly 8 months of pain, recovery, rehabilitation, setbacks and then finally the relief of receiving the go ahead to resume my career. At times it's been a very lonely journey and difficult experience. Recovering from this serious injury has been a huge relief for me."
Tanvir had been ruled out of cricket after undergoing surgery on his knee in Australia. The knee injury curtailed Tanvir's international career and also resulted in him pulling out of a contract with Victoria during last year's Australian domestic season.
"I went to Australia for a career saving surgery on my left knee.
However, even after the surgery and during the rehabilitation process, at one stage I thought my cricket career was over. I was on crutches for 2 months after the operation and I couldn't even walk, so playing cricket was far from my mind."
Tanvir has made a full recovery and has taken 18 wickets in three Quaid-e-Azam Trophy matches for Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited, at an average of just over 26 and is comfortable with his levels of fitness and his current form.
"I'm feeling fully fit and happy with my form. I feel I've been bowling well and am confident that I can do well in New Zealand. It was important to start playing first class cricket and take some wickets. I'm hopeful that the good domestic form can continue in international cricket."
Tanvir - who started out as a left arm spinner, before reverting to left arm medium pace bowling - last represented Pakistan in November 2009 in a Twenty20 international in Dubai against New Zealand.
The bowler who has represented Pakistan on 48 occasions was selected for the recent series versus South Africa in the UAE, providing he could prove his fitness. However he was not included in the final touring party and explained that the decision not to travel to the UAE was taken after advice from the medical staff.
"The medics advised me not to play in the series in UAE, as the wickets were not going to be bowler friendly and they suggested that I would be better served continuing my comeback in first class cricket and then playing in the more bowler friendly conditions in New Zealand. I wasn't going to argue with the doctors and took their advice on board and decided to carry on playing in domestic cricket."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...