Ads 468x60px

Friday, January 14, 2011

Razzaq wants to retire after 2012 Twenty20 World Cup

Pakistan's seasoned all-rounder Abdul Razzaq has said that he wants to retire from international cricket next year after the Twenty20 World Cup. 

Razzaq, 31, said he is keen to call it quits while still at the top of his game. 

"It is something I have been thinking about for a while now and I intend to retire after the T20 World Cup 2012," said Razzaq. 

Razzaq, who has been an integral part of the Pakistani team, said retirement is always a tough decision for any senior player but form and fitness becomes a concern. 

"Looking at my form and fitness, I see myself walking away after the 2012 World Twenty20. During this time I would try to finish my career on a high, which is very important for me so. I would like to give as much as I can to my country," Razzaq told 'Express Tribune' in an interview. 

He added playing for Pakistan had always been a big honour for him. 

"I am playing because I believe I have cricket left in me. I want to win the World Cup for the country before retirement. And considering my current form I feel I will be able to do well for Pakistan in the tournament." 

Razzaq, who has played 248 ODIs taking 259 wickets and scoring 4,921 runs, had earlier announced his international retirement in August 2007 to protest his snub by the selectors from the inaugural World Twenty20 championship over his poor form. 

He then joined the unofficial Indian Cricket League (ICL), for which he was banned for about two years. ' 

Razzaq, however, made a comeback in the T20 World Cup in England and contributed significantly to Pakistan's lifting the trophy. He came up with a superb bowling performance in the final against Sri Lanka. 

Since then, the allrounder has been a regular feature in the Pakistan limited-overs team and although his bowling is not as threatening, he has played two match-winning innings this year. 

Razzaq said despite so many years in international cricket that has led to a lot of wear and tear, he was confident that he could only get better. 

"I am currently fully fit and I'll give my 100 per cent to Pakistan cricket," Razzaq said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...