Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Afridi loves to entertain the crowds


Flamboyant and controversial, Shahid Afridi came to the world's notice as a 16-year-old when he blasted the fastest century in a one-day match from 37 balls against the helpless Sri Lankans.
Fourteen years on and now Pakistan captain, Afridi still enjoys playing to the gallery.
"I love entertaining the crowds. I know people come to watch me hit the sixers," he said. "But after becoming captain I have tried to be more sensible while batting or bowling. I want victories for the team not just individual laurels."
A veteran of 312 one-day internationals, Afridi has never been short of talent. He is a hard-hitting batsman capable of savaging any attack on his day and good enough to pick up 292 one-day wickets with his leg-spin.
For Pakistan to have a chance of doing well in the forthcoming World Cup, Afridi will have to produce the same sort of inspirational performances as he did in the 2009 T20 World Cup.
The all-rounder picked up the man-of-the-match awards in the semi-final and final as he fired on all cylinders with bat and ball to give Pakistan the title.
"That T20 World Cup win was memorable for me and my team mates but personally winning the 50-overs World Cup this year would be a far greater achievement for me," Afridi told Reuters before leaving for the New Zealand tour in December
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...