Ads 468x60px

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Afridi, Ponting praise Akhtar


Pakistan skipper Shahid Afridi said they will play fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who announced his retirement from international cricket on Thursday, in the remaining matches if he is fit.

“I think he took the right decision. It was his own decision and because of his bowling Pakistan have won quite a few matches. He has set a good example because in Pakistan normally the selectors kick you out, you don’t leave yourself. I think he has taken his fitness also into consideration. As far as future matches are concerned, if he fits into the combination, we will play him. At the moment, the combination looks good,” Afridi said.
The Peshawari said the timing of Akhtar’s announcement has not affected the team.
“I don’t think it’s bad timing. May be he could have decided it after the World Cup. But it’s up to him. Akhtar with his experience knows how to use the sub-continental conditions, how to get the reverse swing going. He knows how to bowl with the old and the new ball. He really worked hard for the World Cup. He never told anyone that he is upset (with Kamran Akmal). He is enjoying himself.”

Australian skipper Ricky Ponting too paid handsome tributes to Akhtar, with whom he had some memorable battles. “I had some great duels with Shoaib over the years. To this day, I still say he's the fastest bowler that I've ever faced. There's one spell that everyone can watch on the internet of him bowling to me at the WACA. I think Justin Langer who was at the other end was laughing at me while I was trying to keep Shoaib's deliveries out!
“I guess over the years he's probably had his share of injuries that haven't allowed him to play as much as he would have liked. But even in this tournament you could see that he's still got ability with the new ball, he's still got pace. In our team meeting we also spoke about Shoaib and what we need to do against him as well. So congratulations to him on what's been an outstanding career.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...