Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 17, 2011

World Fastest Bowler Shoaib Akhtar Quits With No Regrets


Pakistan’s maverick paceman Shoaib Akhtar, whose colourful career has been a heady mix of on-field brilliance and off-field controversy, will quit internationalcricket after the World Cup.
Akhtar made up his mind after Pakistan’s 110-run defeat against New Zealandlast week, in which he went for 70 runs in his nine overs.
“I have decided to retire. Mentally I wanted to go on forever but I have decided to make way for the youngsters,” the 35-year-old said on Thursday.
“I have no regrets. I made lots of friends but some people have misunderstood me. I thank all the players who played with me and against me.
“It was an honour to have played with Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. I never imagined I would play for Pakistan. It was my greatest moment.
“Pakistan’s last match in this World Cup will also be my last. I hope that will be the final on April 2.”
After his mauling against New Zealand, Akhtar was dropped for the matchagainst Zimbabwe on Monday and was thought to be an unlikely starter for Saturday’s last Group A match against Australia.
Akhtar, who made his international debut in 1997, took 178 wickets in 46 Tests, the last of which was against India at Bangalore in 2007.
He is three wickets short of 250 in 163 one-day internationals and has taken 19 wickets in 15 Twenty20 internationals.
Pakistan squad members hugged him in the dressing room on Thursday before captain Shahid Afridi embraced him as the players entered the R. Premadasa stadium in Colombo for practice.
“I want to be remembered as an honest and patriotic player who never trod a wrong path,” said Akhtar.
Akhtar, known as the Rawalpindi Express during his tearaway days as one of Test cricket’s most feared if unpredictable talents, once cracked the 100mph barrier at the 2003 World Cup.
Coach Waqar Younis and Afridi praised Akhtar, for whom the 2011 World Cup was always likely to be his swansong.
“I think he served the team and country well and it’s a graceful way to leave the game to make room for youngsters,” said Waqar.
Afridi said Akhtar was a great team-mate. “Akhtar always tried his best for the team and we wish him every success in his life,” said Afridi.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...