Ads 468x60px

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rampaul confident of winning 1st Test


 West Indies pacer Ravi Rampaul, who broke the back of Pakistan Saturday with two wickets in his opening over, believes they will be on course to victory in the first Test here Sunday after breaking the partnership between Misbah-ul Haq and Asad Shafiq.

After three days of gripping action, the first Test is poised for a close finish Sunday. Pakistan enter fourth day at 80/3 in pursuit of a victory target of 219. Pakistan off- spinner Saeed Ajmal took six wickets for a haul of 11 in the match that saw West Indies fold up for 152 in the second innings.

Rampaul, however, got the home team back in the game with wickets of Taufeeq Umar and Azhar Ali in his sensational opening over during Saturday's post-tea session. He took three for 27 in the first innings Friday.

"We are one wicket away from the breakthrough. We started really well and with the assistance the bowlers are getting from the pitch we believe we can win this match. The ball swung at the start of the innings and I was able to hit my areas. We will come back in the morning (Sunday) and run in hard at the Pakistan batsmen again," Rampaul said.

In recent months Rampaul has improved tremendously and he put it down to higher fitness levels.

In the World Cup, he took 5-51 against India in a brilliant spell in Chennai.

Earlier this month, in the Digicel One-day International Series against Pakistan, Rampaul took four-wicket hauls in the third match in Barbados and the fifth match in Guyana.

"Last year I had an injury in the Test match against South Africa. After that I spoke to the coach (Ottis Gibson) and he offered me some great advice. He told me I needed to improve my fitness levels and he also told me I could bowl a lot faster and be a major asset to the team.

"I did a lot of work in all areas of my game and came back with a new focus. I have been doing a lot of good work with coach Gibson and the work is paying off. My figures are improving and I'm enjoying my cricket."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...