Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cricket-Pakistan's Rashid Latif steps down as Afghanistan coach


Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif has stepped down as coach of the Afghanistan cricket team after they were whitewashed in a one-day series in Pakistan last month.
"I have submitted my resignation to the Afghanistan cricket board and they have accepted it although my contract was until the end of July," Latif, who had been in the job for a year, told Reuters.


Latif, who played in 37 test matches, said Afghanistan had great passion and potential despite losing all three matches against the Pakistan A side in last month's series.


"But I feel that when I can't deliver with the team and the performance is also not upto my expectations, it is no use my continuing as coach," he said.
"The truth is I was not satisfied that my association with the team was producing the desired results."


Cricket has flourished in the country after being introduced by Afghans who were raised in Pakistan, in particular Peshawar.
The national side, which cannot play its home games in Afghanistan because of the security situation, narrowly missed out on qualifying for the this year's World Cup in India and Sri Lanka.
Afghanistan joined the International Cricket Council in 2001 and has one-day international status until 2013.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...