Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I can play for another 2 years: Razzaq

Out-of-favour all-rounder Abdul Razzaq insists that he has at least two years of cricket left in him at least after losing out on his place in the squad as well as failing to get a central contract.

Razzaq was dropped from the national team after the World Cup earlier this year, missing the series in West Indies, Ireland and the ongoing Zimbabwe tour. However, the 31-year-old said that he was ready to make a comeback.

“I think there is some favouritism which isn’t good for cricket,” Razzaq told reporters in Lahore. “I’ve been playing for a long time on the basis of my performance. I did not play due to anyone’s favour and nor do I want to play like that.

“I was overlooked for the national team but my county stint helped me maintain my form and fitness. A player’s career is automatically extended by a couple of years when you maintain a high standard of fitness.”

However, Razzaq still had a grudge over his batting position and said that he was misused for a long time. He started off as a bowler but was used as a number three batsman in the 1999 World Cup before being pushed down the order in a bid to increase the scoring rate.

However, Razzaq said the rotation of his batting position disturbed his performance.

“With my ability, I feel I was under-utilised. It might be the policy of the team management but I feel that I won’t be able to give my best.”

‘Pakistan should aim higher’

Meanwhile, the cricketer said that Pakistan were a better team than what their place in the International Cricket Council World Rankings suggest.

“Pakistan should focus on the top three positions. We have to work hard. We need to play tougher opponents.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...