Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 7, 2011

I feel sorry for Aamer but glad that ICC took action: Waugh


ABU DHABI:
 Steve Waugh feels sorry for young Pakistan pacer Mohammad Aamer, who was handed a five-year ban for being involved in spot-fixing, but the former Australian skipper is glad that the ICC sent out a strong message by acting tough on corruption in international cricket. 

Apart from the 18-year-old Aamer, the ICC banned Pakistan's former Test skipper Salman Butt and pacer Mohammad Asif for 10 and seven years respectively for their involvement in the spot-fixing scandal that shook international cricket last year. 

"All I know is that ICC has stepped up and I am glad that they have acted. I feel sorry for Aamer because he is a young kid. I am sure he would learn that he should not interact with certain people, be careful of certain individuals," Waugh, who is in Abu Dhabi for the Laureus World Sports Awardsas part of its jury member, said. 

"As a young kid, I hope he takes the sentence positively and learns. Obviously it can be reduced as well."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...