Ads 468x60px

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I play to win for my country: Kamran Akmal

 Just a couple of months before the World Cup, there was uncertainty over whether Kamran Akmal will be allowed to play for Pakistan in the global spectacle.

There were strong rumours that he was being investigated for suspected links to match-fixers and the speculations gained weight after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) decided to drop him for the series against South Africa in the UAE last November.

However, the Pakistan wicketkeeper was cleared by the authorities and is now a key member of the national team at World Cup 2011.

Kamran is now hoping that all the match-fixing allegations won’t hurt his reputation.

“I’m very happy to be back in the team,” Kamran said in an interview on Friday.

“I was upset to be dropped but my brother, my wife and my family have encouraged me to keep trying.

“I never gave up. I spoke to Ian Healy, he told me some things to improve and I worked on that,”he said referring to the former Australia Test wicketkeeper.

“I have also had help from Brad Haddin and Adam Gilchrist, so I am very happy. My wicketkeeping is not on the spot, but I’m working hard with these good coaches and I’ve been getting better,” he added.

Kamran also hit out at claims that he was involved in rigging last year’s Sydney Test which Pakistan lost from a seemingly winning position.

“I will never ever think like that. I play for love of cricket, not for money,” Kamran said. “I have never been asked to do this (match-fixing).

“All I care about is playing cricket. I play for Pakistan, I don’t do any other activities that would damage my country or my name.”

Kamran came under the scanner following a horror showing in Sydney where he dropped Mike Hussey three times and wasted a run-out chance as Australian produced a stunning comeback to win the Test by 36 runs.

Player agent Mazhar Majeed, who was caught out in a British tabloid match-fixing sting, claimed that the Pakistan team made about $3 million from the debacle.

“I didn’t drop catches to help Australia,” Kamran said. “These things happen. Not every day is a good day in cricket. Sometimes you have good days and other days you have bad games but I have tried very hard in every game I play for Pakistan. “I have ignored all this, I play for honesty, I play to win for my country.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...