Ads 468x60px

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Spot fixing: Pak players to contest ICC ban

Salman Butt and Muhammad Aamer, who were banned for 10 years and 5 years respectively by the ICC anti-corruption tribunal on spot-fixing charges, have vowed to contest an appeal the ban in the international court of arbitration for sports in Switzerland. However, there is no confirmation if Mohammad Asif, who was handed a ban of 7 years, will contest the ICC verdict or not.

Former captain Salman Butt said he did not agree with the verdict of the ICC tribunal announced on Saturday. In a brief talk with media, he said that he was disappointed with the ICC decision and the spot-fixing law is needed to be amended. Salman Butt said that the judge himself said that no law has so far been made on spot fixing and this is needed to be amended. Butt said that if this law is amended then his punishment may be reduced.

"This is too harsh a decision for charges that I bowled two no-balls deliberately. I was never expecting such a harsh decision. I am in a state of shock but I am going to consult my lawyer and appeal this ban in the international court," Aamer said from Doha late last night.

"I think this is the worst day of my life and I am just disappointed that because of me it is Pakistan that is facing embarrassment that is why we will contest this ban," he said.

The International Cricket Council yesterday banned former captain Salman Butt for 10 years and sanctioned seven and five years of ineligibility for pace duo of Mohammad Asif and Aamer after finding the three cricketers guilty of spot-fixing during the fourth Test against England at Lord's in late August.

Aamer, who was first suspended by the ICC on allegations of spot-fixing last September, said that he had been in touch with his family after the ban was announced and they were supporting him. "I am really at loss of words to explain my feeling but it is a shocking decision to me. I just want to tell my countrymen to repose faith in me and keep on supporting me. I will come out vindicated," he said.

The 18-year old pacer also made it clear that he had no intention of giving up cricket and would continue his training and practice as he remained hopeful of a comeback. "Whatever God has ordained for me now perhaps it is for the betterment of my future."

Asked if he felt the Pakistan Cricket Board had not supported him as much as they could have done, the pacer said lot had been said about this in the media and it was obvious to everyone. "I would not like to comment on it further."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...