Ads 468x60px

Monday, March 21, 2011

It's hard to imagine Pakistan cricket without Shoaib Akhtar: Azhar Ali


Pakistan's top order player Azhar Ali has expressed shock over fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's decision to retire from international cricket after the ongoing ICC World Cup 2011, and said that it is difficult to imagine Pakistan cricket without him.
"I didn't know Shoaib bhai was going to retire beforehand, but on a personal level I did have a feeling that this could be his last World Cup. Especially if Pakistan went on to win. Despite that I was still shocked when I heard the news because in many ways it's hard to imagine Pakistan cricket without the fastest bowler in the history of the game," Cricistan.com quoted Azhar, as saying.
Both Azhar and Shoaib play domestic cricket for Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) and were also part of the ODI squad for the series against England in 2010.
Describing his experience of playing with Shoaib for KRL, Azhar was very positive about the Rawalpindi Express' influence on the team.
"Shoaib is a very charismatic individual and even fellow cricketers enjoy being in his company. We really enjoy having him at KRL and whenever he plays for us there is always an extra buzz about the team," he said.
"When one of the best bowlers in the world is running in to bowl for your domestic team, it lifts everyone and makes you feel invincible," he explained.
Azhar further said that Shoaib stood out even in international cricket, where every player is a star.
"I was with the Pakistan team during the ODI series in England and even though it was an International cricket match, Shoaib still attracted a lot of attention. What I liked about Shoaib was that he had time for everyone. He would come to me and the other players who weren't getting a game and make us feel part of the team," he said.
"I remember he [Shoaib] told me that I had a lot of potential and that as long as I worked hard I would play a lot of games for Pakistan. I know it's been said many times but Shoaib really does have a big heart and his retirement will be a big loss to Pakistan cricket," he added. (ANI)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...