Ads 468x60px

Monday, March 21, 2011

SHOAIB AKHTAR BELIEVES THAT IMRAN KHAN WOULD HAVE GOT THE BEST OUT OF HIM


The soon to be retired Pakistan fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar, shared his belief that he would have emerged as a good bowler and a better individual if he had played under legendary all-rounder Imran Khan.
“Imran was like a father figure. I have missed him badly in my playing days. Had he been there, I would have become a better bowler and a better person,” said Shoaib. “Almost every cricketer of his time and afterwards looked up to Imran as the ultimate leader and mentor and I am no exception,” the pacer added.
A few days earlier, the Rawalpindi Express communicated his plan to quit international cricket after the ICC World Cup 2011, ceasing a career full of colour and controversies. It was a sudden announcement though and the current Captain, Shahid Afridi, regarded Shoaib’s decision as the right one and just in time.
The off-field and on-field drama has always been a highlight of Shoaib’s career. He has recently been fined $2000 for his misbehaviour with wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal during the match against the Kiwis.
Responding to a question about his topsy-turvy career, Shoaib said, “The system made me quite an anti-establishment person. Ever since I started playing cricket, I was told that I wasn’t good enough. Whether at the club level or national or international level, I was told I was never good enough. That made me more determined.”
The Rawalpindi Express remained mum about his future plans after saying good bye to cricket. However, he vowed to follow the footstep of his cricketing mentor Imran Khan, and aimed to build a hospital.
“I want to build a hospital in Islamabad, somewhere in the remote hills where no one can imagine medical facilities. I will lay the first brick and then God will help me do the rest. My real life begins now, the life away from the spotlight,” the superstar said.
Imran Khan has always been a great admirer of Shoaib’s pace and ability to win matches. He has mentioned that Shoaibs career has been stunted by the fact that he was in the news for all the wrong reasons. He also attributed the frequent change of captains of the Pakistan side as another factor that effected the fast-bowlers growth.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...