Ads 468x60px

Monday, May 16, 2011

I was set up in betting, Akram Raza


Former test spinner, Akram Raza who was bailed out on Monday insisted that he was set up in a gang of bookmakers for taking illegal bets on Indian Premier League (IPL) matches. “I have nothing to do with the illegal betting in IPL and it was a set up just to get me there”, he told APP here on Monday after his release from jail when police raided a gang of bookmakers who were taking illegal bets in IPL matches at a local shopping plaza.
Akram, who played 9 tests and 49 one day internationals, said he went to the plaza to see some friends and as soon as he reached there police raided the office of his friend and arrested all of them on taking illegal bets.
Police arrested seven people from the place and recovered telephone sets, computers, televisions and a large amount of money. 
“ It is a bad incident in which I have been involved through a planned move and at this stage my career as a national umpire is at stake and I will do everything to prove myself innocent”,said Akram who stands as umpire in domestic tournaments being organised by Pakistan Cricket Board.
“ For me it is really hard to go through such a situation but I am not guilty and I will be writing to PCB through my lawyer in a couple of days to explain my point of view and to prove my innocence”,he said.
Akram was one of the six Pakistani players fined in a match fixing inquiry conducted by Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum in 2000.
“ I have already gone through painful moments in my cricket career and now it is a fresh blow to my efforts to re-associate myself with cricket as umpire “,he said.
“ But one thing is clear as far as myself is concerned I have got nothing to do with the gang of bookmakers “,he added.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...