Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I’m still available for Pakistan: Azhar Mahmood



Azhar Mahmood, pakistan cricket board, pcb,


Former Pakistan all-rounder Azhar Mahmood claimed that he was still fit enough to represent the national side and was puzzled that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had not included him in their plans.
“I’m always available for Pakistan. I haven’t retired yet. There’s nothing like playing for your home country. A lot of people have been asking me if I want to play for England. It’s like a bubble in the air. If the opportunity comes I will take it,” Mahmood told the cricketer.com.
Mahmood, who last appeared in national colours during Pakistan’s humiliating defeat to Ireland at the 2007 World Cup, has been playing county cricket in England for several years and believes he still has what it takes to be a the top level.
Mahmood said it was frustrating because the Pakistan Cricket Board never explained why he wasn’t in its plans.
“It was tough missing so much cricket. People said I wasn’t fit and had put on weight. It was just a media thing. I’ve played county cricket for nine years and I’ve proved my fitness.
“In the few chances I got for Pakistan, I wasn’t given the new ball, I was batting at No.6, or below. It’s tough when you have only the last 3-4 overs to bat.”
Mahmood enjoyed a promising start to his test career, scoring 900 runs at an average of 30 from just 21 matches but it was in the ODI arena that he excelled with both bat and ball. He picked up 123 wickets and scored 1521 runs in his limited-overs career but played in an era when Pakistan had plenty of all-round options in Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik.
The 36-year-old recalled how he was offered the captaincy at 25, but turned it down because of his inexperience.
“In 2000, Gen Tauqir Zia (the then PCB chairman) took me aside and said, “you’re the next Pakistan captain. I said : no, make Waqar (Younis) the captain.”
“That was the biggest mistake I made in my life.”
“The captaincy wasn’t offered for a long term. I saw no point having it for one tour alone.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...