Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Farhat decides to sue bookie Majeed

Islamabad: Pakistani opener Imran Farhat has decided to serve a legal notice on Mazhar Majeed, the London-based Pakistani bookmaker, who has in another video named four more players as being involved in spot-fixing.
Farhat, one of the four named by Majeed in the video shown on Geo News channel on Tuesday, said he was appalled by the bookmaker's claims.
"I just don't know what to say; neither is he my agent nor have I ever been involved in such things," Farhat said.
The left-handed opener was named along with Umar Akmal, Wahab Riaz and Kamran Akmal by Majeed as the players who work for him.
The three others - Salman Butt, Mohammad Aamir and Mohammad Asif - have been already suspended by the International Cricket Council after Majeed in an earlier video in August claimed they had taken bribes to do spot-fixing in the fourth Test against England at Lords.
"His claims have really upset me because I have always played clean cricket. I am suing him for an apology and damages and also to clear my reputation," Farhat said.
Farhat said he had a reputation in international cricket being a Pakistan player and Majeed with his unsubstantiated claims had basically indulged in character assassination.
"I will not stand for this. I don't know about the others but I have decided to sue him and I am consulting my lawyers," Farhat said.
The Pakistan Cricket Board on Wednesday refused to comment on the new video footage of Mazhar Majeed while legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi also declined to make any comment.
The national selectors on Tuesday dropped Farhat for the tour to New Zealand and the opener said that he was disappointed but would continue to perform in domestic cricket and try to win back his place in the side.
Pakistan wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal also slammed Majeed for his claims.
"He was just our agent and I don't know why he is making these claims. If he is involved in bookmaking, I don't know anything about that," Akmal said
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...