Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Afridi not worried over Pakistan captaincy

 Shahid Afridi on Tuesday said he was not worried over not being named Pakistan captain because it was a job he had never coveted.
The 30-year-old all-rounder is tipped to lead the team in next month's World Cup, to be jointly hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
But when the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced the 15-man squad on Tuesday, no captain was named, leading to speculation Pakistan's Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq may take the honours.
"I am not worried about the captaincy, it never worries me," Afridi told reporters before leaving for New Zealand, where a six-match one day series starts in Wellington on January 22.
The Test team is already in New Zealand.
Afridi said being named to play for his country was the most important thing.
"I have never run after the captaincy in my entire career. It is something for the cricket board to decide
"If they feel I am the right man they will appoint me and if they don't they will make someone else captain," said Afridi, whose position looked precarious after the team's 2-1 defeat in the Twenty20 series in New Zealand last month.
Afridi, 30, said he did not feel under any undue pressure.
"I am a senior professional and I know what I have to do. I have to lead the team to win the series and perform well as player," said Afridi.
"I know our winning the series will be very important because if we win in New Zealand it will give us a boost for the World Cup," said Afridi.
Pakistan is placed in Group A of the 14-team World Cup, to be played from February 19 to April 2.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...